Sweet Pea Soup
1/4 cup diced bacon
1 tablespoon oil
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup thinly-sliced sweet onions
1 quart light stock
3 cups peas, preferably fresh
1/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon chopped chives, for garnish
1. In a soup pot, cook bacon until crispy, remove to paper towels to drain, and reserve for garnish.
2. Add oil and flour to pot and cook for 3 min., stirring. Add onions and cook 3 min. and add stock.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add peas and cook 5 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, puree soup in the pot; or pour soup into a food processor or blender, process until smooth and return to pot.
5. Stir in cream and adjust season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into a warm soup bowl and serve garnished with bacon and chives.